Tuesday, May 17, 2011

SRPS Highlights

Just a quick sampling of the great media out there by some of my favorite Self-Rescuing Princesses, or topics that seem like something SRPS-related:

If you didn't catch last week's interview with Betty White on Tavis Smiley, I highly recommend it. What an amazing woman. So funny. So brave. So strong. I love hearing about how she got involved in acting, and telling stories about working on the Mary Tyler Moore Show and Golden Girls. She was there to plug her new book, which I just may have to read.

The best part: when she makes Tavis Smiley crack up at the end. Pure comedy genius.



I'm reading Rosanne Barr's article in the New York Magazine about her thoughts about being asking to comment on Charlie Sheen's recent public troubles. I have always admired Rosanne. I proudly stand behind my love of her sitcom as well as her standup. It takes serious ovaries to do what she's done. And without her, would we have Ellen or other women comedians? In the article, she talks about the sexism and classism she had to confront in Hollywood while making her ground-breaking show.

Best line: “Cry all you want to, but you figure out a way to put my name on the show I created, or kiss my ass good-bye.” Be sure to read it with your sarcasm filter on. Biting, political, feminist comedy is best done with a healthy dose of sarcasm.


It looks like Bridemaids is getting some good reviews and some mixed reviews. My friends who have seen it are all raving. I hope to see it soon. Maybe this weekend, if the world doesn't come to an end. If I do see it, I'll certainly post a review.


And, finally, with all the fuss over the J.Crew ad with a young boy with toenails painted pink, this article from Smithsonian Magazine, from April, about the history of gender-ized baby colors is still rather timely. Basically, it's a preview of a book coming out later this year by historian Jo B. Paoletti.

Takeaway line: “There is a whole community out there of parents and kids who are struggling with ‘My son really doesn’t want to wear boy clothes, prefers to wear girl clothes.’ ” She hopes one audience for her book will be people who study gender clinically. The fashion world may have divided children into pink and blue, but in the world of real individuals, not all is black and white.

0 comments :

Post a Comment