Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Quote of the Day - Maxine Hong Kingston

Today is the 75th birthday of the amazing Maxine Hong Kingston. She is best known for her memoir The Woman Warrior, which tells stories of her life interspersed with traditional Chinese folktales. I have never read the whole thing (a fact I am somewhat ashamed of, frankly), but we did read excerpts of it in several of my college classes about race and gender.


To me success means effectiveness in the world, that I am able to carry my ideas and values into the world - that I am able to change it in positive ways.
I especially love this quote from her because it is so perfectly captures my own beliefs about what constitutes a successful life. Creating positive change in the world has been my mission for as long as I can remember. It is certainly the motivation behind writing this blog -- sharing the stories of others who have been successful in their efforts to improve their own lives and the lives of others.

If you like the work I do here at Self-Rescuing Princess Society,
please check out my Patreon.



You may also be interested in:

Eliza Ann Grier - the first black woman to receive a MD in Georgia
Very little is known about her early life. She was born during the Civil War. Her parents were slaves in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina, which made her a slave as well. After emancipation, her family moved to Atlanta, where she grew up and attended school. She originally intended to become a teacher, and attended Fisk University.


Movie Night - Advantageous
The decision to live as a single mother in this world was a dangerous one, she knew, but she also hoped it would give her life meaning; make it worthwhile. And, in its own way, her ultimate decision simply confirms that. It is her undying love for her daughter that drives everything she does. She cannot change the very system they are both trapped in. So she works within her constraints to give her daughter the very best chance.

Happy Birthday - Dr. Dorrit Hoffleit
During World War II, she went to work at the Aberdeen Proving Ground ballistics laboratory in Maryland. Not unlike many women working for the war effort, she was forced to take a position below her status while she watched men who had less experience take higher level jobs. Frustrated that women weren't getting the training they needed and the promotions they deserved...

0 comments :

Post a Comment