Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Music Break - Celia Cruz

Today is the birthday of the remarkable Celia Cruz, the "Queen of Salsa."



I don't know when I first heard her sing. I suspect it was in Mambo Kings, but it's hard to remember. Maybe it was when I would listen to Tito Puente with my parents. It feels like she's been around on my playlists for ages. What an amazing voice. And now we get to learn more about her life, thanks to the fantastic telenovela Celia.

While I was reading about her for this post, I saw that she's often referred to as "La Guarachera de Cuba." My Spanish is pretty rudimentary, so I had to look up "guarachera." As it turns out, even Google Translate doesn't know what it means. Fortunately, Wikipedia did. Guaracha is the name for the traditional type of Cuban music she's known for -- fast tempo and lyrics.

I've selected a couple of my favorite videos of her singing. Check 'em out:



Over her career, she traveled the world, appeared in several movies, and recorded 23 gold albums. Today I will be queuing up and listening to (and dancing along with) her music in her honor.

¡Feliz cumpleaños, Úrsula Hilaria Celia de la Caridad Cruz Alfonso!


If you like the work I do here at Self-Rescuing Princess Society,
please check out my Patreon.



You may also be interested in:

Women's History Month - Charlotta Bass
Charlotta Amanda Spears Bass was born in Sumter, South Carolina (the year is unclear, some sources say 1874, some day 1879, or even 1880). She was the sixth child out of eleven children. Very little is known about her early life. When she was twenty, she moved to Providence, Rhode Island, to live with her brother. There, she took a position working for the Providence Watchman...
Happy Birthday - Geraldine Doyle
Today would have been the 90th birthday of Geraldine Hoff Doyle. If you don't know who she was, don't feel too bad. I only heard of her recently myself. If she looks familiar, it's because she was very likely the model for the "We Can Do It!" poster.



In case you need a reminder... you are amazing!
I just love this poem. I revisit it whenever I'm feeling a down or frustrated or a little powerless. You are amazing. As.you.are. Stronger than you know. More beautiful than you think. Worthier than you believe. More loved that you can ever imagine. Passionate about making a difference. Fiery when protecting those you love. Learning. Growing.

0 comments :

Post a Comment