Saturday, July 7, 2012

SRPS Shout-Out - Sandra Day O'Connor

On July 7, 1981, President Ronald Reagan nominated Sandra Day O'Connor to replace Potter Stewart.

I'm old enough to remember this piece of important history-in-the-making. It was a Big Deal™ at our house. The first woman to be appointed to the Supreme Court!

She received unanimous approval by the U.S. Senate (99-0), and was sworn in on September 25, 1981.

Sandra Day O'Connor Being Sworn in a Supreme Court Justice by Chief Justice Warren Burger
"My hope is that 10 years from now, after I've been across the street at work for a while, they'll all be glad they gave me that wonderful vote."
The four women who have served on the Supreme Court of the United States. From left to right: Justice Sandra Day O'Connor (Ret.), Justice Sonia Sotomayor, Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, and Justice Elena Kagan in the Justices' Conference Room, prior to Justice Kagan's Investiture Ceremony on October 1, 2010.
"The power I exert on the court depends on the power of my arguments, not on my gender."
Whether you agree with her rulings or not, the door she opened has helped women continue to move forward.

If you like the work I do here at Self-Rescuing Princess Society,
please check out my Patreon.

0 comments :

Post a Comment