Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The Power of the Tiara - stress-relief

Ever had one of those stressful days where you just want to crawl back under the covers and hide? That was me this morning. It took all my powers of self-talk to get myself dressed and ready for my ride to school.

I know the grown-up thing to do is to just get up and do what needs to get done. And, honestly, 99% of the time, I'm perfectly able to do that. But this semester at school has been a bit challenging. I know I need to some serious contemplation around that issue, but in the meantime, I still need to get to class each day.

So, on days like today, when it was particularly difficult, I find myself making promises of a small reward of something symbolic and affordable. Today's promise was that on my way home I would stop at the hardware store on the way home and buy myself a plant for my front yard. And then I promised myself that once I was home, I could lounge around in my jammies, wearing my tiara, and taking it easy for a bit this evening.

That helped me get myself motivated. As it turns out, I had reason to be stressed out. It rained on me while I was riding in, my morning class was full of fail, and I spilled tea on my new favorite t-shirt. *sigh*

All though everything, I kept reminding myself that was going to get some pretty new flowers for my yard. As it turns out, I bought myself TWO plants. Technically, it's 12 plants -- two six-packs.

Aren't they lovely?
I wanted the dark pink snapdragons, but I thought they looked so good on the shelf next to the light pink stock, so I got both.

Now I'm at home, changed into my cozy PJs, snuggled up with my fuzzy blanket, dreaming of the plants I'm going to add to prettify my front yard when it stops raining, and wearing my tiara. I'm feeling better already!

Tiara + PJs = stress relief
What do you do when you need an extra boost to get out of the bed in the morning?

1 comment :

  1. I am glad that your tiara helped. Pretty snaps.

    ReplyDelete