Friday, July 6, 2012

SRPS Shout-Out - Althea Gibson

On July 6, 1957, Althea Gibson became the first black tennis player to win at Wimbledon.
"Shaking hands with the Queen of England was a long way from being forced to sit in the colored section of the bus going into downtown Wilmington, North Carolina."

"I hope that I have accomplished just one thing: that I have been a credit to tennis and my country."


"I want the public to remember me as they knew me: athletic, smart, and healthy.... Remember me strong and tough and quick, fleet of foot and tenacious."

"I knew that I was an unusual, talented girl through the grace of God. I didn't need to prove that to myself. I only wanted to prove it to my opponents."
If you appreciate the work I do here on SRPS, please support me!

0 comments :

Post a Comment