Sunday, January 13, 2013

Happy Birthday Sophie Tucker - The Last of the Red Hot Mamas


I would love to write up a detailed history of her remarkable life, but there's just so much to cover! So, instead, please enjoy this selection of her songs, and then visit Jewish Women's Archive for more information on Sophie Tucker's life and adventures.
I've been rich and I've been poor; Believe me, honey, rich is better.


I've never sung a single song in my whole life on purpose to shock anyone. My 'hot numbers' are all, if you will notice, written about something that is real in the lives of millions of people.


I couldn't make her understand that it wasn't a career that I was after. It was just that I wanted a life that didn't mean spending most of it at the cookstove and the kitchen sink.




Happy Birthday Ms. Tucker!


0 comments :

Post a Comment