Monday, October 28, 2013

Kickstart This!

So many great projects on Kickstarter! I've highlighted a few that I think deserve extra attention.


Jessica Tudos is an Olympic gymnast and mom of a preschooler, so you can bet she knows a bit about the desire to spend a good part of life upside-down. Which is why she wrote Kika the Upside Down Girl.

I want to inspire kids, and the grown ups who love and support them, to fully explore the ups, downs & upside downs of their interests and choices. Overcoming challenges and uncertainty to carve a meaningful life path continue in my life, and my hope is that Kika's story will inspire readers to keep turning their worlds upside down in order to find fulfillment and joy in theirs.


I spend most of my life typing into one kind of keyboard or another. I'm not complaining. I love my life and my work. But there's still something very satisfying about writing personal notes in an old-fashioned notebook or journal. Or, in this case, a new-fashioned geeky lasercut notebook.



I love music. I had my own record player when I was in preschool, and I don't mean the little music box style Fisher-Price dealio. I got my first stereo when I was 8 years old. My parents took me to all kinds of concerts, including the classical programs my dad was playing in. So music has a special place in my life. And music created by talented women deserves extra special attention considering how hard it is for female composers to get notice, even today. So when I see that nine women composers in Portland seek funding for a concert of their works, I'm automatically in. Especially when their muse is Crazy Jane!
Our muse for this annual project is Crazy Jane, a fictional character Irish poet W.B. Yeats created based on a real person. He admired her for her audacity, lust for life, and satirical eye. In mythical, Celtic old-woman style, Crazy Jane defended herself and her passionate stance with a whimsical but no-nonsense attitude.


You know Dasher and Dancer, Prancer and Vixen, Comet and Cupid, Donner and Blitzen, but did you know... all those mythical reindeer are male? I mean, we know that in actual fact any reindeer with antlers present in the winter would be female, but you know how fiction doesn't always have to follow fact. What's a little girl reindeer who wants to flu supposed to do? Well, if you're Rosie the Reindeer, you gather your reindeer girlfriends and practice flying anyway, just in case you're needed to help out Santa in a crunch.
Rosie and her friends were very proud,
The returned home to a jubilent crowd!
"Rosie you saved Christmas!" Santa declared.
"Because you tried something no other doe dared!"
Sure as the twinkle in Santa's eye,
Now every deer gets a chance to fly.
Today Santa's team has a mix of girls and boys.
Turns out, some bucks like baking and wrapping toys.



These projects are already funded, but still worth checking out for the sheer awesomeness. And your chance to get in on the action!


The Amazing Adventures of the Princesses of Planet STEM is the tale of plague-ridden Planet STEM which desperately needs the smarts of their princesses to save them. Author Erin Albert, a pharmacist and educator, wrote this book for other little girls who want to pursue a STEM career.
I loved reading a great story as a young girl, which engaged me in imaginative ways and led me to my career in STEM. I’ll admit, I love a good princess story too! In this book, I want to give girls the opportunity to explore STEM careers in a fun, engaging way that broaden their horizons, and provide a list of resources to parents of young girls who want to learn more about STEM careers beyond the classroom. I've got an AMAZING illustrator lined up too (Fraizer Designs) right here in Indiana!

I know this is a UK project, but I just love these The Rolling Dead shirts so much. And I'm sure other Derby Princesses will too!



Speaking of the ambulatory dead, Sarah Northway has created a new kind of zombie game - Rebuild: Gangs of Deadsville:
Rebuild is a strategy sim game, a little like Sim City or The Sims, with a bit of Choose Your Own Adventure and a heap of dark humor. It's a thoughtful, slow-paced game that will make you fond of your survivors before you have to send them to their deaths. You'll manage food, morale and supplies while fending off illness, wild dogs, crazy cults and raiders. And the dead are still out there wandering the streets, hungrier than ever.

0 comments :

Post a Comment