Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Shout Out - Women's Adventure Magazine

A couple of weeks ago, I talked about what kind of princesses we are NOT here at SRPS. But I didn't really talk much about what kind of princesses we ARE. Some of us are the kind of princesses who like to get dirty. 

This princess, in particular, likes being outside.


A couple of years ago, I was bemoaning the fact that Outside magazine ran far too many stories about men out in nature, doing adventurous things. There had to be other women out there who liked hiking, camping, and generally being... you know... outside. Right?

A woman I knew through triathlon suggested that I check out a magazine titled Dandelion. I did. Wow! Here was a magazine that featured stories about women like me! And clothing suggestions for women like me! And generally was supportive of active, adventurous women, like me. It was about time!

I immediately subscribed. (If you know me, you know I have a magazine subscription habit, so this, in itself, isn't as noteworthy as it may sound.) When the first issue to showed up in my mail box, I read it cover to cover. And I eagerly awaited each new issue. I was hooked. And then I canceled my subscription to Outside. (That IS noteworthy.)

A couple of years ago, Dandelion relaunched as Women's Adventure, and buffed up their website and online presence.  They now have a large following and have built a great publication that is a joy to read. I find the stories of women outside doing great things very inspirational. Even if they're doing things I never would dare to try. It's inspiring just knowing there is someone out there doing it.

If you're like me and enjoy doing things in the out-of-doors, you should check them out. Also, they have some pretty fantastic give-aways each month!

PS. Note about Shout Outs: SRPS is not affiliated with any of the organizations or websites featured (or any not featured). These are sites or groups with have a message or content that is complimentary to the SRPS ideal of supporting and encouraging self-rescuing, strong, kick-ass women and girls.

0 comments :

Post a Comment