Monday, January 21, 2013

Happy Birthday Geena Davis

I don't know about you, but I love love love Geena Davis. I mean, who couldn't love her for all the great women she's been in her movies and televisions shows?

Dottie Hinson, anyone?


President Mackenzie Allen?


But she's not just an actor. She's a mover and shaker as well. Her organization, The Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media, is working hard to make sure there are better role models in media for children, including better and more roles for girls and women.
We're showing kids a world that is very scantily populated with women and female characters. They should see female characters taking up half the planet, which we do.

The institute not only does important research work, but they have excellent resources for parents and educators, including lesson plans and discussion guides.
When my friends and I would act out movies as kids, we'd play the guys' roles, since they had the most interesting things to do. Decades later, I can hardly believe my sons and daughter are seeing many of the same limited choices in current films. 

Thank you Geena, for all your hard work!

0 comments :

Post a Comment