Friday, June 7, 2013

KickStart This!

So very many more great projects to consider this week! Movies, music, and loads of great books!

When I saw the description for June, Adrift: A Real Indie Feature (No Offense, Zach Braff), my very first thought was, I'd watch the hell out of that! We get so many stories about young men trying to find themselves, but very few about women trying to figure their lives out. When I was in my 20s, it would have been wonderful to have a library filled with stories about women facing the same conflicts I was. Heck, now in my 40s, I'd still like to have that library.

After a series of humiliating encounters with members of her parents' generation, Emma makes the impulsive decision to return to her parents' house, vacant while they are traveling for the summer, in order to complete a boat kit given to her by an uncle fifteen years ago. As her enthusiasm for the project snowballs, she accidentally collects two traveling companions in Liesl and Rachel.

I grew up in a house full of music of all kinds. Some of my most cherished memories are the family car trips where everyone would sing along with the radio, with my musically talented parents singing in beautiful harmony. I think that's where I developed my love of a cappella music. When I played the clip for Beyond All Reason: Raising The BAR I knew I had to have a copy of their album!
Beyond All Reason is Saint Louis University’s only all-female a cappella group. The group was founded in 2002 and has been entertaining the masses ever since. BAR regularly performs on SLU’s campus and hosts two concert extravaganzas a year. With a repertoire that spans all genres and includes songs ranging from "It's Time" by Imagine Dragons to "At Last" by Etta James.

I have to admit I haven't read much from the manga side of the book shelf. But I do know that it has been instrumental in getting many young people back into the habit of reading. So when I see a graphic novel or manga that tells a story of a kickass young woman, I'm going to throw my support behind it! Jade Dragon Book 1 looks like a good story for young people. And it's important to me that Kaida's character is show wearing sensible clothing and acting in a completely normal teenage fashion.
Kaida Suzuki is a fifteen year old orphan who was raised by monks at a secret dojo, hidden away in the mountains. Abandoned on the doorsteps of the dojo as a child, Kaida has grown up with only her Master, Sensei Shin, to call family. Shin has always known there was something special about this girl so he has trained her in combat since Kaida’s first steps. Kaida was living the normal teenage life; going to school, getting teased by other kids, learning martial arts and keeping secret crushes. All was calm until the one night that would change her life forever.

Well, the above sentiment also applies to fantasy books. Like Melissa Drake's Daughter of Mythos: What if all the myths were real? 
15-year-old Nora Salvatore's dream of a normal life and a permanent family are ripped from her as she's thrust into a world where myths and magic are the reality. When an evil wizard plans to unleash an army of demons on Earth, Nora's the only one who can stop him.

OK. Fine. It also applies to every other book out there. I know a couple of school-aged girls (and boys) who will likely getting a copy of Sage Carrington, Eighth-Grade Science Sleuth, Volume #2 in the coming year!
Sage Carrington is a 12-year-old girl who lives in Washington, D.C. She’s a science lover who enjoys exploring the wonders of our natural world. Along with her best friend Isabel Flores, Sage is a confident, curious amateur sleuth who lives in a thriving community that enables and encourages her pursuit of happiness.

What projects are you excited about lately?

0 comments :

Post a Comment