Saturday, December 7, 2013

Quote of the Day


Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand -- and melting like a snowflake. - Marie Beyon Ray
I think about this quite often -- this idea that the only point of power we have is right now, and the moment is fleeting. And how most of us spend so much time waiting for something to happen, to change, to pass, before we can really start living. I often feel like I'm in a holding pattern, waiting for something else to happen before I can get started doing what I really want to do. Right now, it's finishing college. I've got one more semester to go and then I can start doing what I really want to do.

And, to a degree, it's true. I need to finish college before I can really dive into many of the ideas and aspirations I have, partly because they require the degree I'm earning, and partly because I don't have much time to spend on them outside of college. But I haven't put them entirely on hold. I'm working on them as much as I can around my school work, and sometimes even as part of my school work. I'm leaning in the direction I want to go, as Oprah puts it.

I know I'm privileged in that I can even afford to go to college and work on my personal projects. I think about the people who feel stuck in terrible jobs they can't afford to quit; young people stuck living with parents who support them financially but not at all emotionally; people with health issues that limit their ability to function. Would I dare to send this quote to them? How would I hope they'd react? How would they really react?

I keep thinking about the line, "We are not living in eternity." We aren't. And that's both a terrible and wonderful thing at the same time. When I am sad or upset, it's comforting to know that it won't last forever. And while I'd like to have the happy times last forever, they're all the more special because they are not guaranteed to last.

Also, it only says to begin, not to do. That's what I focus on when I feel like I can't do what I want to do. No, I can't do the whole thing, but I can begin it, even in the smallest, most basic way. I can plan. I can dream. I can start to make the changes needed to get me to where I can do.

So, what will you begin to do?

0 comments :

Post a Comment