Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Quote of the Day



"One of the most courageous things you can do is identify yourself, know who you are, what you believe in and where you want to go." Sheila Murray Bethel.

I've been thinking about this concept of self-knowledge quite a bit lately. As I get older, I find I am more comfortable with myself. Things about myself that used to make me worry about how other people might judge me don't really seem all that important anymore. Things that I would like to change about myself are part of the work-in-progress that I am. I don't carry around nearly as much shame as I used to. Although there are still pockets of it here and there in my psyche. And when I encounter it, I try to remind myself that I am still worthy of love, and that those feelings are just signs marking a construction zone that call for extra care.

I know what I believe in. I tend to trust my gut more, and really listen to it when it tells me something doesn't jive with my beliefs. I still second-guess my actions sometimes, but not nearly as often, and usually when I'm pushing the edge of my own comfort level, but when I step back and look at it through the lens of my beliefs, I'm usually right. And when I'm not, I apologize sincerely, and chalk it up to a learning experience (that I actually do learn from).

I can't say I know where I want to go specifically, but I have a pretty clear idea of what it looks like there, and what direction will get me closer. And I am always moving that direction.

0 comments :

Post a Comment