Thursday, January 7, 2016

Quote of the Day - Zora Neale Hurston


I was always asking and making myself a crow in a pigeon's nest. It was hard on my family and surroundings, and they in turn were hard on me. I did not know then, as I know now, that people are prone to build a statue of the kind of person that it pleases them to be. And a few people want to be forced to ask themselves, "What if there is no me like my statue?" The thing to do is to grab the broom of anger and drive off the beast of fear.
Zora Neale Hurston, Dust Tracks on a Road
So often it is our own fear that keeps us from becoming who we most want to be. So many of the attempts at inspiration don't really address this. "Just do it, " or "Feel the fear and do it anyway," are great pieces of advice for little things, but when it comes to the bigger changes we want, the fear is too big to ignore or walk around. Sometimes we have to wrestle it out of the way and chase it off. And the best way to do that is to get good and mad -- mad at the fear itself, mad at ourselves for creating the fear, mad at other people for feeding it. It is only then that we can move forward toward our goal.

If you like the work I do here at Self-Rescuing Princess Society,
please check out the various ways to support me.


0 comments :

Post a Comment